The Lowrey Law Firm enables seniors and those caring for them to safeguard their health, their finances and their future.
What is Elder Law?
Elder Law is a relatively new area of law focusing on the legal issues of Seniors. An Elder Law attorney focuses on planning for incapacity or mental incompetence, elder care and the receipt of benefits so as to assure lifelong care without decimating estate assets needed for a surviving spouse.
How can the Lowrey Law Firm help me and my family?
In addition to traditional estate planning, an Elder Law attorney helps to plan for the possibility of long-term custodial care. Nursing homes are very expensive and if unplanned, the financial consequences can be devastating. The issues involved are complex and are unique to each family and to each individual senior.
These issues are different from what seniors faced when they were younger and raising a family. The focus changes from planning to provide for children to assuring that there are sufficient resources to provide for the elder person throughout their life.
Examples of the issues that the Lowrey Law Firm can provide counsel and assistance include:
- Preservation/transfer of assets seeking to avoid spousal impoverishment when a spouse enters a nursing home
- Medicaid Eligibility and appeals
- Disability planning, including use of durable powers of attorney, living trusts, "living wills," for financial management and health care decisions, and other means of delegating management and decision-making to another in case of incompetency or incapacity
- Conservatorships and guardianships
- Estate planning, including planning for the management of one's estate during life and its disposition on death through the use of trusts, wills, and other planning documents
- Administration and management of trusts and estates
- Long-term care placements in nursing home and life care communities
- Nursing home issues including questions of patients' rights and nursing home quality
- Elder abuse and fraud recovery cases
- Housing issues, including discrimination and home equity conversions
- Age discrimination in employment
- Retirement, including public and private retirement benefits, survivor benefits, and pension benefits
Why Hire an Elder Law Attorney?
Safeguarding You are Future.
Without a plan, aging can rob you and your family of your life savings and a secure future. As an elder law attorney, I will help you protect your hard-earned savings and assets, as well as navigate a complex system to assure that you or your loved one with long-term or special care needs, has the best care possible. With knowledge of the unique needs related to competence and aging, I will be your advocate.